Hilite With Transparent Button

Ted tedl at voyager.net
Thu Nov 14 10:10:01 EST 2002

Rob Cozens wrote in part:

>I might note that in HC, setting the hilite of a transparent button
>causes the button colors to invert within the icon image only. So
>far as I can tell, this effect is not possible in RunRev short of
>producing a set of hilited images and setting the button's hilited
>icon.

Pixel inversion under transparent buttons was a very useful feature of
HyperCard; it allowed you to quickly and easily hilite any object. This was
especially handy for painted text: you could create graphical fields, menus,
maps, charts, and labels--and then hilite text portions at will with overlaid
transparent buttons. (In the above instances, paint text is used for
stability. Cross-platform display can turn text into taffy, so text fields are
unacceptable, for example, in the tight confines of a map.)

I requested this feature when Revolution was in beta testing. Kevin added it
to the list, but I don't know where it stands at this point.

Ted