1.5 (now 2.0)

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Tue Nov 12 10:57:01 EST 2002

>This isn't the case with transparent GIFs and PNGs, at least in MetaCard.
>All transparent pixels in these images ignore mouse events, so you can
>indeed have irregular regions that respond appropriately to mouse clicks.
>Test this for yourself and see if you get the same results.

Scott, et al:

It works that way for me...but, as noted previously, my issue has to
do with changing the background color of an irregular region.

And while I'm on the subject, here's a similar issue I'll need a
solution for soon:

Suppose I have a "round" button depicting a wine barrel.  If the
barrel is half full of wine, I want to show the inside of the barrel
half full; if it's 3/4 full I want to show the inside of the barrel
3/4 full.  The basic mechanism I used in HyperCard was to place a
highlighted button behind the barrel button and adjust the top of the
button to the correct height.  Once again, I see no way of doing this
with rectangular buttons without painting an opaque border around the
hilited button, and in this case the workaround would be to create
different icons for every possible setting (eg: 1 pixel full, 2
pixels full, etc), which is worse than drawing a new mask for each
background the buttons are placed on.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company