1.5 (now 2.0) The Transparent Button Issue

Matt Denton matt.denton at limelight.com.au
Tue Nov 12 17:36:01 EST 2002

Hiya Rob

We delivered a CD-ROM multimedia project last week and in it we had
similar transparent buttons (ours was a map for kids with animals, not
wine barrels).  Here's what I found:

Use the irregular polygon filled with black.  Draw around your image.
Set the ink to NOOP (I guess this is the old NO OPeration) as some
other inks have problems when building as a standalone, not sure
exactly why but Windows didn't like many of the inks, even the inks
that were supposed to work on all platforms. Problem only appears as
the standalone.

Of course as you have discovered, transparent pixels on a PNG don't get
mouse events!  This is truly wonderful and makes the whole process of
creating irregular buttons easy.  In my case, I used the above polygon
to trace out a larger click area around the object (kids don't always
click inside small objects), also I didn't want 'holes' and transparent
bits in the centre to not be click-able.

I had my script in the polygon, we had no need to send click events it
to another button.

(On another matter: for those kind Rev-elers that had a look at my
first alpha of Jump Scripts a new version will be coming shortly!  We
have just been extremely busy at the office with four multimedia, DVD
and web projects delivered simultaneously last week and three this.
Sleep, what's that?)

Hope this helps.  Still a bit of mystery why when you build the
standalone for Windows the inks change but anyway NOOP works well,
tested on 12 different Macs and PCs.

Cheers

M@
Matt Denton