Mac OK - Win compilation problematic

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Nov 8 11:06:01 EST 2002

Peter Lundh wrote:

> 1) The "visual effect dissolve" is much slower in the Windows version, but
> what's worse is that it's displayed in a "pixelated" fashion, almost
> stuttering from frame to frame, whereas it's a smooth and beautiful
> transition in both the PPC and OSX versions of the app.

QT is very slow on Windows the first time it is called, and general
performance is not as good as Rev's built-in, platform-independent, albeit
slightly-less polished-looking, transitions.

Rev attempts to use QT effects by default.  You can turn this off with the
dontUseQTeffects global property.

> 2) Cards containing grouped objects and fields with (vertical) scrollbars
> look and work fine in the Mac builds, but in the Windows build exactly the
> same thing happens: The main stack contain three cards with white
> backgrounds and groups, or text fields with vertical scrollbars. For some
> reason, the card color, which is white in the Mac versions, is a 50% gray in
> the Windows version. The strange thing is that even if I place a white
> rectangle in the background, covering the whole card it makes no difference
> - the darn Windows application still displays a 50% gray background on those
> cards. The scrollable fields, themselves, which are white in the Mac
> versions are also 50% gray in the Win app.

Try adjusting the colors (topcolor, bottomcolor, etc).  In most of my apps I
set the colors for each platform at the stack level on startup.

> 3) Throughout the application there are large images that change when you
> click on them. They are large buttons where the Icon and Hilited Icon ID's
> are set to different images. Each button has a simple on MouseUp script
> setting "the hilite of me to (not the hilite of me)" (a la Klaus Major ;).
> Once again, in Mac I click on the images and they change nicely without any
> hiccups. In the Windows build, however, when I click on an image it changes
> to the Hilited Icon ID and then back again (as if I did a double click). The
> hilited image is also shifted a couple pixels diagonally making the
> application look anything but professional.

That's something I've not encountered.  Maybe Chip Walters, who just
produced a wonderful button-making widget for Windows and later for Mac, can
offer some tips here.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation