Repeats repeated

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Nov 3 12:09:02 EST 2002

Terry Vogelaar wrote:

> I understand now why my 2nd script was so slow thanks to David. And
> like David I really cannot imagine why Richard's suggestion about using
> arrays would contribute anything to the speed, but I tried it and it
> obviously worked; it reduced my (fastest) 101 seconds to 36!

It's the line-counting.  Traversing indexed arrays is a faster operation
than counting lines, which includes not only getting a line put appending
new lines to the end of a chunk.

I hgad a 40mb Web log file that used to take prohibitively long to parse;
now it takes under two minutes. :)

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation