revGoURL solution found

Barry Levine themacguy at mac.com
Sun May 26 12:33:01 EDT 2002

My previous post complained about TextEdit opening HTML files (I was
generated from within Rev) after calling the "revGoURL" command (rather
than IE opening them as it is the app selected in the Internet System
Prefs).

The problem seems to be that I haven't specifically assigned IE as the
creator of the files. The temporary workaround (actually permanent on
-my- Mac) is to get info on one of the files and change the owning app
to IE and "change all". This now directs all files with a ".htm" suffix
to open with IE.

However, upon searching through the Transcipt dictionary, I found the
"fileType" command. Using this line of code:

set the fileType to "MSIETEXT"

before actually using "puy myVar into URL..."etc. sets the creator and
type to IE and all is resolved. When I use the "revGoURL" command, IE is
either launched or comes to the foreground and the file is opened.

Problem resolved...on Macs, anyway. We'll have to see how the
distribution version on Windows behaves.

Barry
Barry Jay Levine
"The Mac Guy"
Macintosh Troubleshooting, System Engineering, Training,
AppleShare/OSX Server Setup, System Upgrades and Enhancements