Linux and the defaultfolder

Richard D. Miller wow at together.net
Wed May 1 15:45:01 EDT 2002

We're running into a problem with our first Linux customer for our Rev
software and haven't a clue what is going on.

Our software starts up from a Rev executable. The first thing it does is
look for a small text file containing a valid serial number. It looks in the
same folder from which the exe file was started. There is no path defined at
that point, meaning it is relying on the defaultfolder to define the path.

This works fine under Windows and Mac. We have over 1,000 customers using
the software with no problem.

However, we've been testing the same program built for a Linux environment.
When the exe starts up, it looks for the text file in the Linux HOME
directory, rather than within the startup folder. This then causes a series
of problems during startup, as we use the defaultfolder command to identify
the location of other files, but it can't find those files...even though
they are in the same startup folder. Something isn't right. Anyone have a
clue as to what is happening and how best to fix it? We have no way of
testing the Linux version in house.

Thanks.

--
Richard Miller