a tip for newbies (like me)

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Mar 20 14:49:00 EST 2002

On Wednesday, March 20, 2002, at 07:31 AM, BCE wrote:

> The WRONG method:
>
> on mouseup
>     ask file "What file?"
>     put "file:" & it into field "myField"
> end mouseup
>

> The RIGHT method: (at least for me, on windows)
>
> on mouseup
>     ask file "What file?"
>     put ("file:" & it) into field "myField"
> end mouseup

I'm a newbie, too, and I'm wondering.  Could there be a bug in
Revolution on Windows?  Could you have left out URL in the above
examples?

It seems to me that these would be the same:
   put "file:" & it into field "myField"
   put ("file:" & it) into field "myField"

And these would be the same:
   put URL "file:" & it into field "myField"
   put URL ("file:" & it) into field "myField"

The two groups would put different values into the field.

If this is not the case, I need help in understanding evaluation in
commands.  Help!

Dar Scott