Ah, I see what's happening (was quadra system bloat)

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Tue Mar 19 23:14:01 EST 2002

on 3/19/02 11:27 AM, Yates, Glen at JAMES.G.YATES at saic.com wrote:

> Huh?, Where an application is installed has no bearing on whether the app
> uses memory in its own space or in the system heap. It's all controlled by
> how the app allocates memory. If indeed Rev allocates memory from the system
> heap, then to optimize memory usage on a low memory mac, you should decrease
> the applications memory partition from the "Get Info" window. That will
> leave more memory available for the system heap to grow into.
----------
Yes, you're right. Sorry if I implied otherwise. I keep the memory
allocation at the suggested 20 mb, but decreasing the memory allocation in
this case _should_ work. However, I tried that when I first started with
Rev, and got it to work a little better, but it still wasn't enough (still
crashing, but less often), so I put it back to 20 and cranked up the Virtual
RAM and restarted. That has worked pretty well, albeit a bit slow sometimes.
Still takes forever to close when I finish a session, and afterwards, I have
to run other programs for awhile or restart to get everything back to
normal.

I'm convinced you should have a minimum of 128 mb RAM to use Rev 'normally'.
I _know_ opening the docs/dictionary sucks up a bunch really quick.

Best regards,
Ken N.