Something strange in the tutorial "The Animation Manager"

Alexander Liden alexander at intermedia25.se
Sat Mar 16 10:25:01 EST 2002

Hi,

I've just downloaded version 1.1.1 of Revolution on my Mac (OS 9.1). I
thought I start out with the tutorials. As I started with the tutorial
"The Animation Manager" all went well until I came to card 10 of 11.
The instruction says

To add this command to your “Hello World” stack, open the script for the
“Show Me!” button, and replace the line:
  move field "My Field" to the location of this card
with:
  revPlayAnimation "MyAnim"

I did just that and then I tested the Stack by choosing the browse tool
and clicked on the "Show me!" button. Sure enough the animation was
executed. But then I clicked on the "Reset" button and when I clicked
once more on the "Show me!" button the animation "MyAnim" didn't work
any more.

My explanation for this strange behaviour is as follows. The "Reset"
button sends the message preOpenCard that the Card script traps. In the
preOpenCard handler the first line is
   set the loc of field "My Field" to -100,-50

This line changes the settings of frame 20 in the animation "MyAnim".

This can't possibly be the way how it's supposed to work. I've also
built a stand alone application before destroying the animation with the
Reset button and tried to run it. Then everything worked just fine, the
Reset button didn't destroy anything. Am I doing something wrong or is
it some bug in the Revolution itself?

Regards
Alex