Server side applications

Bill Vlahos bvlahos at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jun 26 10:20:01 EDT 2002

Paolo,

The provider will need to have your server software running on one of
their computers. I would suggest you make it a standalone unless you
want to do some debugging on the live system. There is no reason they
should have to buy a copy of Revolution just to host your application.

There is an example Chat stack on the Rev site which shows how to set up
a specific TCP/IP port to communicate with.

There are many service providers who offer this kind of hosting service.
They will need to know which TCP/IP port(s) you will need which is not a
big deal. Most hosting services can allow you to provide you own
computer if you like but will usually prefer to run your application on
one of theirs. My experience is that they will probably prefer to host
your application on Linux or Macintosh instead of Windows although some
support that as well. Of course with Rev you can make it any way you
like. :-)

I can't give you any recommendations as I don't use any but they are out
there.

Bill