Text files driving me mad

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Thu Jun 13 11:04:01 EDT 2002

on 13/6/02 4:06 pm, Troy Rollins at troy at rpsystems.net wrote:

>>> I find it irritating.
>>
>> This was the first message I posted when I bought MetaCard.  I was told
>> that
>> SuperCard had introduced this error, and MetaCard was maintaining
>> compatibility.  I still think it's mad.
>
> It is insane, and has caused us to create a bunch of workarounds, none
> of which are what we want to do. Unless I'm missing something about the
> way the language "wants" to work, it is particularly difficult to make
> sense of certain data streams coming in on a serial port because of it.

Hmm... it shouldn't be quite that bad, should it?  I just create a global
somewhere in my initialisation:
    global kCR
    put numtochar(13) into kCR

Then I use kCR everywhere I think I should be able to use CR.  Of course
it's annoying that I can't create it as a constant; and I have to remember
to declare the global in every script where I reference it... but I don't
end up with a bunch of workarounds, just a bunch of bugs (when I forget to
declare it, or when it didn't get initialised).

Or am I missing something?

  Ben Rubinstein               |  Email: benr_mc at cogapp.com
  Cognitive Applications Ltd   |  Phone: +44 (0)1273-821600
  http://www.cogapp.com        |  Fax  : +44 (0)1273-728866