Pass parameters to rev app?

Bob Arnold rfarnold at bu.edu
Wed Jun 12 20:33:01 EDT 2002

Fellow RunRevvers,

If I am asking for too much help, please let me know. I am frustrated by two
distinct conditions in an application I am designing. I will present one of
them now to see if someone can help me.

This application, a demonstration of basic motion picture camera functions,
is basically a stack, in this case it is a MainStack with 4 SubStacks, with
a lot of imported graphics (jpegs). I want to provide a "Presentation Mode"
for film teachers who might project this application in the classroom. In
the Presentation mode invokes the backdrop feature (with a user selectable
color), hiding the MacOS menubar, and setting all the stack decorations to
"" (empty). If the "Presentation Mode" is active, the command returns
everything to its previous "default" state.

Here's the problem: in the development environment, this process works
flawlessly, coming and going. However, when I build a MacOS stand-alone
application, the process will always crash the application on the second
invocation (un-doing the presentation mode and returning to normal). I can't
figure out what is the cause of the problem, and it is frustrating that I
can't recreate the problem in the development environment.

Here are the scripts I am using, invoked by a menu option which calls the
"PresentMode" handler, which then calls the SetStacksDec handler, both of
which are in the stack script of the MainStack:

on SetStacksDec
  put the mainstack of this stack into MainN
  put the substacks of this stack into theList
  put the number of lines in theList into howmany
  put the decorations of stack MainN into CurDec
  repeat with x = 1 to howmany
    put line x of theList into stackN
    if "Help" is not in StackN then
      set the decorations of stack stackN to CurDec
    end if
  end repeat
end SetStacksDec

on PresentMode
  put the mainstack of this stack into MainN
  open stack MainN
  put the substacks of stack MainN into stackL
  repeat with n = 1 to number of lines in stackL
    put line n of stackL into StackN
    close stack stackN
  end repeat
  if the backdrop is "none" then
    put the label of cd btn "color" of card "Prefs" of stack MainN into
TheColor
    set the backdrop to theColor
    if "MacOS" is in the platform then hide menubar
    set the decorations of stack MainN to ""
  else
    set the backdrop to none
    if "MacOS" is in the platform then show menubar
    set the decorations of stack MainN to "default"
  end if
  SetStacksDec
end PresentMode

Again, when running the stand-alone MacOS PPC application, the command works
fine to set the Presentation Mode, but crashes whenever I try to reset it,
but this problem never occurs when I am working on the stack.rev in the RR
development environment.

Any ideas what is going wrong?

All help will be much appreciated and may save me from pulling the rest of
my hair out, of what little remains.

Much newbie thanks,

Bob

--