newbie response

Bill Vlahos bvlahos at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jun 4 17:35:01 EDT 2002

 From my seat watching the great success of REALBasic, my perception was
that it, as opposed to other basic implementations, provided a way for
VB programs to be ported to the Mac and was a pretty good version of
basic by itself. Please note that this was my perception and may not, in
fact, be the actual marketing message.

This is not a bad thing at all.

I programmed a lot in Applesoft BASIC on Apple II's and MS Basic on
original IBM PCs for specific scientific applications. This above
mentioned perception led me to have a positive opinion of RB. There are
many terrific applications written in RB which I use and depend on so it
obviously is a "real" programming language.

I discovered HyperCard and wrote a few applications in it and like it a
lot along with AppleScript. Before I heard about Revolution, I
downloaded and tried RB. I couldn't get past square one with it. It was
just too hard for me to understand.

Then I found Revolution and it really is the "Holy Grail" to me. I can
make almost any kind of application I want and it will run fast and be
available for every platform. Sounds "real" to me.

Bill Vlahos