Help with setRegistry?

Eric Rivers erivers at rpsystems.net
Wed Jul 24 13:59:01 EDT 2002

I currently have a Rev standalone that, when launched, prompts a user to
select a data file that contains Internet connection information (server
name, paths, etc.) that the standalone needs in order to run.  The
information is stored in the file in the form of custom properties that the
standalone reads and stores in variables.  Here's part of what I have so
far:

  -- prompt for a key file to use
  answer file "Select Key File:" with filter "RemoteShow Key files,*.rsk"
  if it is not empty then
    set the itemDelimiter to "."
    if the last item of it is "rsk" then
      put it into openKeyName
    else
      put it & ".rsk" into openKeyName
    end if
    -- set variables based on custom properties of key file
    put the scriptServerKey of stack openKeyName into scriptServer
    put the scriptServerPathKey of stack openKeyName into scriptServerPath

    etc.

I'd like to create a file association so that a user can optionally simply
launch the data file and it will launch with the standalone and pass the
location and name of the data file to the standalone, preventing it from
prompting for a data file and using the information in the file that was
launched.

This is being developed on a Win98 system but ultimately will be a
distributed app for Windows and Mac machines.  How can I use
queryRegistry/setRegistry and/or fileType to create the file association and
pass the location and name of the associated file to the standalone app?

In other words, how do I go about setting up a basic file association via
the registry and how do I get the Rev standalone to recognize that it was
launched with incoming parameters and access & use those parameters?

Eric Rivers
RPSystems
http://www.rpsystems.net