Participation in Improvement List

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Jul 7 14:43:01 EDT 2002

Dan Shafer writes:

>> The other point is one you know very well. Like you, I spent too many hours
>> in HC / SC / ToolBook only to see these companies and products NOT succeed.
>> Fact is, the old model of charging $199 for an authoring tool just doesn't
>> work for these 'talk' products. I'm glad to be able to support RR (even
>> though their product is new -- and IMHO not as finished as could be) and I
>> don't mind supporting the cause.
>
> Good point. It *would* be nice to find a product that would give me
> all this power *and* be around for a while. Frankly, I felt so burned
> by Apple on HyperCard that i *seriously* considered switching my
> entire life to Windows in protest.

Many felt similarly, and MS' unparallelled success in evangelizing a
platform-specific high-level tool (VB) demonstrates the value of such things
for ensuring app proliferation for a platform.

One of the things Rev gives me and my clients is a way to step off that
roundabout:  my fulfilling Java's promise of "write once, run anywhere"
(Java is more like "write once, crawl anywhere"), we are at last liberated
from the whims of any specific OS vendor.  An OS can gain or lose
marketshare, but as long as people use any modern computer at all Rev lets
us reach them.

While Revolution is a relative newcomer, it's MetaCard engine just turned 10
years old this weekend, making MetaCard Corp. the longest-lived xTalk vendor
ever, and the MetaCard engine the second-longest-lived xTalk engine still in
development (after SC, which turned 13 in May), roughly as old as VB.

Basing the Rev UI on such a solid engine from such a strong partner company
can only bode well for Rev's viability.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation