replacetext

Bob Rasmussen brasmussen at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 18 20:43:01 EST 2002

It seems like this type of mistake keeps coming up.  I've hit it myself more than once.  Your problem is that replaceText is a function, not a command.  You have to use it in an expression.  For example,

    get replaceText((line n of textToParse),"red","blue")
  --^^^

To Rev documentation folks:

Given the subtle distinction between commands and functions, I think it would be a good idea in the Rev documentation to give examples only of usage in proper context.  That is, please don't show functions alone on a line in a way that makes them look like commands.

I also think, given the apparent frequency of this problem, that the error message could be more helpful.  For instance, if Revolution is going to complain about "factors", it would be nice to explain what a factor is, and give us a hint about what might be wrong.

More generally, some documentation about what error messages mean and common causes of errors would be very useful.

Thanks

RR