Application Framework?

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jan 11 06:50:01 EST 2002

Hi

As I said in my previous mail, I'm just setting out to learn Revo
from an experienced SuperCarder's viewpoint. I'm interested in
looking at the Employee Database example, but I can't find it! I feel
really stupid asking this, but could someone tell me where it is -
doesn't seem to be in the download or on the Revo web site, but it's
got to be somewhere!

I don't know quite how much to expect from the Employee Database app
anyway, but looking at the accompanying tutorial, I don't see much
emphasis on some of the things which preoccupied me in my SuperCard
days, when I had to construct a number of quite different
applications for the same environment - has anyone developed an
application framework which covers the main structure of a file-using
app on Mac or Windows (I'm not used to Unix) - I mean a framework for
a standalone which has for example:

* the standard menus (e.g. File with Save, Save As. Page Setup,
Print...; Edit with Cut, Copy, Paste, Clear; Help)

* the standard actions implied by this (e.g. a file handling
framework for saving, retrieving, naming, coping with errors etc;
clipboard handling; invocation of the standard Help systems on the
various platforms)

* logic for launching the app either directly or by the user
launching (double-clicking) one of its documents, including coping
with launch attempts before and after the app is activated, handling
(or refusing) multiple instances of open files, initial parameter
setting and splash screens etc.

* logic for quitting, including file saving, clean-up, quit enforced
by the OS etc.

Of course nobody could produce a complete 'one size fits all'
framework which would work unmodified in a specific case, but there
could be something that offers a flying start. I got this in
SuperCard by studying various sample apps and by doing quite a lot of
research (e.g. into event handling) but that was just on the Mac.

Can anyone point me to something like this (maybe it's the Employee
Database), or should I begin to think of constructing such a thing
myself? I apologise if it's all there and I've just missed it.

Graham

                 LFC Associates Ltd (The Living Fossil Co.)
    39 Laurier Road, London NW5 1SH, UK. email: livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
    tel. +44 207 485 7916; mobile: +44 7976 739 935; fax +44 207 813 9427