Is it soup yet?

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Fri Jan 11 05:39:01 EST 2002

At 3:50 PM -0800 1/10/02, Ken Norris wrote:
>Should I go ahead and trash 1.1 and DL 1.1.1 beta instead, and go ahead and
>use it for development? I'm just beginning with RR, but I've been using HC
>2.4.1 for some time, and want to transfer the shells and rebuild the color
>with appropriate handler changes, etc.
>
>What say ye?

You're probably safe either way -- I'm using 1.1 for things I need to release immediately, 1.1.1 for anything that won't see the light of day for a month or two.

>Please note, I'm a bit intimidated by all the palettes, menu options, etc. I
>expect I'll be getting lost quite often for a while, so please be patient
>with 'dumb' questions. I'll be developing on a Mac. My goal with much of the
>software is to keep it simple and memory efficient enough to run on older
>machines, so impaired folks on fixed incomes can afford to use them.
>
>There are several things I need to know about RR:
>
>1) Can I use it to control X-10 devices? Anything done with this type of
>thing yet?

Since I know SuperCard can do this, I'd bet Revolution can too. However, I haven't done it.

>2) I want to use it to send and receive text-only (for now, e.g., no
>attachments or graphics) eMail using something simple, like Claris. Or is it
>possible to build my own emailer with RR itself? How about this?

Revolution has socket access, but no built-in SMTP (yet). So rolling your own is definitely possible, but not particularly simple. You should be able to email using the default email client (on a Mac) using an Apple Event or an AppleScript.

>3) I need to develop full speech feedback for the vision impaired. I know
>this will need to be handled differently on each platform, but that's OK.
>Anyone done such a thing? Are there examples for PC's (I know relatively
>little about P.C.'s or Windows)?

I think speech was part of the Externals, released by RunRev, but separately from Revolution. It's a little hard to find now (I don't remember where they put it and I'm offline right now, sorry.

>I'm quite excited about joining the group, using RR, et.al., and hope it's
>as friendly and helpful as the HC group.

We try :-)

regards,

Geoff