graphic radio buttons

David Vaughan drvaughan55 at mac.com
Mon Feb 11 20:15:01 EST 2002

On Tuesday, February 12, 2002, at 11:36 , Scott Raney wrote:

> snip
> HyperCard *is* faster at field get/set and reformatting.  It's just the
> price you pay for breaking the 32K and color barriers.  Fortunately in
> most cases MetaCard's on average 5x better performance on everything
> else more than makes up for the on average 2x worse performance on
> field access.
>   Regards,
>     Scott

Thanks Scott. As I said in a separate reply to Rob, my untimed
impression was that Rev was faster for ordinary tasks and it has always
been sufficient for me to date. The task I tested involved five separate
gets per card so a blowout from roughly 2x to 6x is not so amazing, and
in any event, the fairly extensive task did finish in under one second.
I have from years of HyperTalk programming the habit of using variables
for any list or repetitive task anyway, as was eventually proposed by
someone for Pierre's original problem - background-maintain an
associative array with data copies for access speed. I do similar to
this on my contacts stack which has a couple of thousand entries, and to
the user the response is fast and the maintenance seamless.

cheers
David.