Dictionary crash.

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Feb 10 00:35:01 EST 2002

curry at kagi.com wrote:

> When I had 32M physical memory, I had dictionary problems--incredible
> slowness opening the dictionary and closing Rev application, and frequent
> crashes after choosing a search term before the definition window opened.
>
> After upgrading memory, no problems.

I've got 196 megs with 20 megs alone allocated to Rev. I wasn't getting
the crash in Rev 1.1, so I don't think RAM is the problem.

> The combined needs of
> Rev and Metacard running together will be less than Rev with its own
> dictionary. I never had a crash or problem doing that.

I routinely run both at the same time. Since my full license is for
MetaCard, I use Rev as an auxilliary system in order to work with
clients who are using it, or (mostly) to reference the dictionary
because it is so much better than MetaCard's. So it's important to me
that the dictionary doesn't crash.

I heard recently that on MacOS it is sometimes detrimental to allocate
too much RAM to MC/Rev. Maybe I'll take it back down a notch and see
what happens.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com