Menus, buttons and how to refer to them

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Dec 30 12:27:01 EST 2002

Thanks to all who have replied so far to my menu queries. I'm
learning a lot (one thing is that a hidden menubar is an inactive
menubar - common sense, I suppose, but I never thought of it). I may
well be confused (I am!) but it's not entirely because I came from
SuperCard - I think there is some slightly unexpected syntax in the
way one refers to objects in Transcript.  For example, Jan Schenkel
said:

>The reason why

  set line 1 of the text of button "Options" of card 1 of this stack to "Blah"

>  doesn't work is that it can't find
>a property named "line 1 of the text".
>Try this:
>   put "Blah" into line 1 of the text of button \
>     "Options" of card 1 of this stack

So what that says is that you can't have a qualifier of a property,
because 'the text of button.." IS a property, despite Björnke von
Gierke saying that you can't use the 'set' command on text. You can,
as Jan confirms later in his mail. Ken Ray also points out that you
can use 'put' as with a field. The issues here appear to be

a) that qualifiers are forbidden when referring to properties - which
is easy to remember once you know it.

b) button contents are properties and also containers like fields,
which is subtle and not that easy to  pick up from the documentation.

Now, I know that menus are buttons in Revo and I'm quite happy about
that, but I am a bit confused about when we use the term 'menu' and
when we use the term 'button'. For example, in the 1.1 Transcript
Dictionary, there's an example under 'MenuItem':

  enable menuItem 2 of menu "Option Menu"

I wondered - would this work the same if we wrote:

  enable menuItem 2 of button "Option Menu"

The answer where I am is that the version from the Dictionary doesn't
work (it gives an error "Chunk: no such object"), but the second one
works OK. Where does that leave the term 'menu' as an object
descriptor?

Still trying to learn from the patient and knowledgeable folks on this list.

Graham