Stack file organisation

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Dec 18 23:52:01 EST 2002

Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com wrote:

> On 3 occasions,
> my stacks have become corrupted during normal use; twice on a Mac and once
> on a PC. Lucky for me, the Rev team has built a catch for this, and the app
> automatically generates a backup file which is named with the extension
> .rev~.

I have a client who sees this kind of corruption regularly, but never on
a Mac, always on Windows. We are using the MetaCard engine, but it's the
same thing; delete the tilde from the backup file name and the backup is
good. I once asked what caused this, and was told that there is only one
thing that will cause stack corruption, and that's if the app crashes
while writing the file to disk. I'm not sure this is always the case
though, because not all of the corrupted stacks were also involved in an
application crash.

On the other hand, I have written an awful lot of MetaCard and
Revolution stacks, and this particular one is the only one that shows
corruption. The client wanted it to behave like HyperCard, so it is also
the only stack I maintain that auto-saves so often. I have no firm
evidence, but I just have a feeling that has something to do with it.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com