Arrays vs Lists

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Thu Dec 5 13:42:01 EST 2002

On Thursday, December 5, 2002, at 10:12 AM, miscdas at boxfrog.com wrote:

>> As for Dar's question about a list. IME, a list is an ordered
>> delimited groups of words or phrases. The delimiter is usually, but
>> not always a comma. I suspect that is not correct when you consider
>> programming in general. But having spent a lot of time in Hypercard.
>> That is what I consider one.  You can delimit with anything, just be
>> sure it doesn't pop up in you list items.
>
> Why restrict your definition to an ORDERED group of "things"? Granted
> that intuitively, ordering renders the list more useful. But should it
> be a requirement?

I think in general in programming I would think _ordered_ is a
requirement for "list".  Also, in programming the "distance" or ease of
access for data in the middle or end may not be as low as that for the
front.  Perhaps the word "sequence" would have less of that stigma.

A more general term that would not include order might be a collection.

I wasn't sure whether Revolutionaries used "list" for a string that
separated inclosed data with delimiters, that with delimiters being
lineFeeds specifically, or in the more general sense.  I am tinkering
with my library for packing up values into a sequence that I have called
a list (slightly related to lists in functional lisp but without data
sharing).  I'm thinking about changing the name of these things to
something else such as bundle so as to not cause confusion should my
library escape.

Dar Scott