is the value of CR really platform dependant?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Aug 30 11:56:01 EDT 2002

Kee Nethery wrote:

> Someone said that I should take all my line endings in a text field
> and convert them to the constant CR because that will do the right
> thing per platform.
>
> Before I release something I'd like to know if that is true given
> that CR is not mentioned as a constant in my online docs nor in my
> 1.1.1 printed docs.
>
> On Mac OS X I know that the constant CR (commonly known as carriage
> return and commonly known as ascii(13) but not in revolution) =
> ascii(10) a linefeed
>
> Does CR = CRLF = ascii(13) and ascii(10) on windows?
>
> Does CR = ascii(13) on Mac OS 9?
>
> Does CR = linefeed ascii(10) on unix/Linux platforms?

The following is true on all platforms:

You can read as text or binary.  Text mode converts line endings, binary
leaves everything as it is natively.

As text:

  open file tMyFile for read
  - OR -
  open file tMyFile for text read
  - OR -
  put url ("file:"&tMyFile) into tMyData

As binary:

  open file tMyFile for binary read
  - OR -
  put url ("binfile:"&tMyFile) into tMyData

If you read in text mode, the line endings are handled for you automatically
on all platforms.

The reverse is also true: when writing to a file, text mode changes line
endings to whatever form is customary on the machine it's being run on.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation