Dan Shafer : Wired HC Article - rev too complicated?

Rod McCall rodmc at runrev.com
Mon Aug 19 07:30:01 EDT 2002

> A assume that not all german speaking developer are idiots
> None of them said I´ll start with it. It was a big surprise for
> me, because I was very enthusiastic for rev and recomend it

We assume NONE of our users are idiots! As far as I am concerned (and I speak for myself) if something is available in any product and you can't do it easily then that suggests to me there is a need to improve some aspect of that product. There are a range of methods but your could for example  improve the task-interaction model to fit in more with the power user (e.g. make it faster, quicker, and shorter) and/or provide a clear step by step way of doing things for new users. This applies to Rev, Visual Basic, Real Basic and even Director. No interface can or will suit everyone 100% although there are ways to support different user types through the range of small features and enhancements which support them specifically.

As for speaking languages again I can only speak for myself and say that I am still embarassed at the lack of language education in the area of the UK we are from. Although I did study German at school this was not until I was 12 or 13. As far as I am concerned there should be more lanugages taught earlier on here. Anyway enough of my "learning languages" rant.

We are constantly looking at providing better support for non-English language speakers. However, these things take time, patience and a lot of money. Do remember that the localisation means we have to translate every word in the transcript dictionary, all help files as well as the interface.

We are genuine in our commitment to our customers, we do provide resources to fix problems where they occur and finally we do strive to make the best developer tool possible. We can only do these things with your support and comments (good or bad) and appreciate the time take to write every comment we receive.

Kind regards,

rod

--
Rod McCall <www.runrev.com>