Rev video in and save

wow at together.net wow at together.net
Sun Aug 11 12:45:01 EDT 2002

I'm beginning work on a personal training program to be built in Rev.
This program will give the user a host of learning material, ranging
from specific knowledge available from within the application (such as
pre-set video clips and textual information) to video captured real-time
while the user is working with the application.

Let's say the user works with the application for an hour, during which
time the app has also been capturing video which shows the user
following some of the training processes he is learning from the
application.

The user wants to be able to record all or a portion of this one hour
session to CD or DVD.

In the simplest case, the app will simply want to save all the captured
video without modification, so the user can review it at a later time.

However, I also want to give the user the ability to save only sections of
their video, as well as text-based training information available through
the program, along with user notes, as well as perhaps a few short
video clips (also available through the app). All of this needs to be
organized in some way and saved to CD/DVD for later review by the
user.

So let's say there is a specific card within the app that serves as the
"playback" card. On this card the user can pull from and organize
various components, including portions of their video, some text info,
comments, etc.

Questions:

1. What options are there to save this user-created Rev app to
CD/DVD? Can Rev save it directly or would I need to first save the
user-created app and then automatically run some type of CD writing
program (like Toast) that might work in the background?

2. I'm concerned with the user having to wait too long after their
session to save their customized app to CD/DVD. In other words, let's
say they've just had a one hour session with this program. During that
time this person has been reviewing some of the pre-set info in the
program as well as grabbing video showing his or her self doing the
training. They've created their personal "playback" card which contains,
say, 30 minutes of video and some text info and notes. If they started
the save process then (i.e. at the end of their one hour session), how
long might it take to write that info to CD/DVD? For arguments sake,
let's say I've got one of the faster write drives available on the market,
as well as a very fast CPU. Let's also say the video is 640x480 and it's
compressed. Any one have any sense of the time involved here? If it
takes 10 minutes, I think I can live with that. If it's 30 minutes, that
might
be a problem. Can anyone imagine a way to be writing portions of the
video to CD or DVD WHILE the user is still using the Rev app? Do I
have to wait till they are finished or might it be possible to, for
example,
save video to CD/DVD while it is being captured?

3. What are the advantages/disadvantages of working with CD versus
DVD for this application?

Gosh...I know that's a long message, but I'd appreciate any feedback
from some of you geniuses out there (and I'm happy to say that I've
discovered there are quite a few very smart people on this listserve!).

Thanks.
Richard Miller