Dynamic Data

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto jeanne at runrev.com
Mon Aug 5 01:12:00 EDT 2002

At 7:12 AM -0700 8/1/2002, Rob Cozens wrote:
>I have read some comments to the effect that a standalone can modify
>an internal substack.  This seems unlikely to me; but others have
>said so and I have not tested it.

You're right: it can't be done. (The rule to remember is that an
application file cannot modify itself. Since a substack is part of the
standalone file, a standalone can't modify a substack inside itself.)

However, of course a standalone can modify substacks of other files. And it
can also contain a template substack which it clones and then saves as an
external file. It's possible someone was confused about this possibility,
and assimilated it to "modifying an internal substack", and made the
comment you refer to.

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto ~ jeanne at runrev.com
http://www.runrev.com/