Can I use Revolution for this?

knowledgeworks knowledgeworks at knowledgeworks.plus.com
Sat Aug 3 04:52:01 EDT 2002

====
Limits:
Statements permitted when changing a script (normally 10)
Statements permitted in a do command (normally 10)
Stacks permitted in the stackInUse (normally 50)
Number of objects permitted in the frontScripts and backScripts
(normally 10).

The first number does not limit scripts that are already written. In
other words, a Starter Kit [standalone] user can use a stack with
scripts of any length. however, if that stack attempts to change an
object's script property, and the script contains more than the
allowable number of statements, the attempt to set the script causes an
error.

The above limits apply only when you use the Starter Kit. (Standalone
applications you create with Revolution also have these limitations,
since standalones are freely distributable and are not themselves
licensed.) If you are using a licensed copy of Revolution, these limits
do not apply and the scriptLimits functions returns empty.
====
I created a standalone which simply opened and displayed its limits. In
my licensed Rev environment, it returned empty. Run as a standalone, it
returned 10,10,50,10, so the limits are there all right.
<<

Hi there,

I'm REALLY new to Revolution and Metacard (only heard of them in the last week)
- I've never even seen Hypercard!.  I've been avidly reading the docs for Rev
and MC and playing with both.  However, I find the above information really
surprising and disappointing.  I hope I've got the wrong end of the stick....

I like what I've seen as I've been investigating these products.  Suddenly, I
get object-orientation in a way that I have never got it before (having tried to
learn it whilst working with Java, Python, Zope, Ruby...)  And my mind has been
racing with the possibilities of Revolution.

One thing that struck me this week, would be the possibility of writing an
object-relational mapping using Revolution.  That is, it should be theoretically
possible to get a script to interrogate a database and reconstruct the tables as
stacks.  By parsing the data definitions for the tables, and using the dynamic
scripting of Transcript the stacks could be constructed on the fly.  Once this
is done, one could map the relationships between the tables (be nice to do it
with drag and drop...but I haven't got far enough in the docs to see if that is
possible).  Even if the drag and drop isn't possible, I was hoping that one
could also create mappings via user-selected means (drop down lists, for
example).

However, the above quotation makes me doubt the possibility of this scenario.
It was amazing to read Dan mentioning scriptExpert - I had just conceived of the
possibility of such a thing a couple of days ago, and now I hear it has existed
for years on Hypercard (now I desperately want to see that working.... does it
still exist? would it work with Revolution or would there be too many Hypertalk
specifics missing?)

Do the above quoted remarks mean that Revolution standalones would be quite
limited in their ability to dynamically create objects?

Regards, Bernard Devlin