value feature or bug

John Cuccio jcuccio at pacbell.net
Sat Apr 20 04:06:01 EDT 2002

Mac 8.1 & 9 Rev 1.1 & 1.1.1
I was having a problem with the value keyword

I thought the value keyword would handle any container whether it was in
quotes or not. HC was this may. So I had started programming in rev 1.0 it
worked that way. Then I started having problems with my code in rev
1.1,stopped working on this project. Now I started working on it in rev
1.1.1. Still having a problem. I figured out what is going on.

"4Kim" is in field 1

code-- put the value of field 1 into x  -- this works

4Kim is in  field 1

code-- put the value of field 1 into x  -- this does not work

kim 4 is in field 1

code-- put the value of field 1 into x  -- this does not work

Ki4m is in field 1

code-- put the value of field 1 into x  -- this works

4 is in field 1

code-- put the value of field 1 into x  -- this works

if the beginning of a word in a container is a number and the container is
not in quotes. The value keyword returns an error. But if it is in quotes
then it does not return Error. I tested this in Rev 1.0. This does not
happen.