Rev Classic Crashing

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Fri Apr 12 21:56:01 EDT 2002

On Friday, April 12, 2002, at 10:32 PM, JacksHyperInfo at aol.com wrote:

> Thanks fjor the explanation-i have 128 meg in the Imac and I have
> nothing
> else open-your right -it builds to 70meg-and if I edit a file it
> crashes!
>
> Why does it run so smooth on windows and so marginal on the imac?

The iMac is not the problem so much as the OS. Rev rocks on OSX.

The Rev environment is a big hog. Not too much way around it, it does a
lot, but needs some serious resources. Since Windows virtual memory is
so much more sophisticated than that of OS9, you can get away with a lot
less horsepower on a Win machine. On Mac OS9, you basically need "real"
horsepower since the "virtual" is almost worthless.

Nothing makes OS9 run better than more physical RAM, and shutting off
virtual memory altogether. It really is a case of the more RAM the
better, and giving plenty to REV makes it pretty happy. Snappier to work
with, reduced crashes, etc.

OS9 with 128 meg is pretty marginal for development work (sad but true,
a Windows machine with 128 meg can fly. - note that I am writing this on
my Mac.) 128 is OK for "home use", but as you start to get serious stuff
running, you'll need more. Yes, I would say you may want to add some RAM
to the iMac.

--
Troy
RPSystems