Auto-remove blank lines in a list field

Brad Allen BradAllen at mac.com
Sun Apr 7 14:54:01 EDT 2002

There are several ways to delete blank lines.

Here's the most straightforward:

put the number of lines in myText into lineCount
repeat with i = lineCount down to 1
   if line i of myText is empty then delete line i of myText
end repeat

Here's another way, probably faster for large amounts of text, but
isn't very elegant:

   repeat until offset(return & return,myText) = 0
      replace return & return with return in myText
   end repeat
   if line 1 of myText is empty then delete line 1 of myText

The most elegant way to do it is probably using the replaceText
command, which may be powerful enough to accomplish this task without
even using a repeat loop. This is an advanced command which makes use
of regular expression technology for text pattern matching. (Maybe
somebody on this list knows a regular expression to identify an
arbitrary number of consecutive blank lines...).

Whichever method you choose, you might consider enclosing your code
in a function, as in

function stripBlankLines inputText
   <<code for stripping blank lines, put the cleaned up text into myVariable>>
   return myVariable
end stripBlankLines

This will make it easily reusable throughout your project.