Can't open downloaded stack on OS X

Klaus Major kmajor at metascape.org
Fri Apr 5 06:34:01 EST 2002

Hi Dar,

> On Friday, April 5, 2002, at 03:47 AM, Chipp Walters wrote:
>
>> I authored XMLtree.rev on a PC. I've been told it works fine on a Mac,
>> but
>> the creator wasn't set. Supposedly, there's some kind of 'mapping'
>> utility
>> in the MacOS for linking files with no creator code with apps. Perhaps
>> someone else out there knows about this.
>
> I think I was mistaken when I said I could open chatserver.rev (of
> simplechat) from the dialog box; I can't now.  I can open galactic
> quest.
>
> The latter was downloaded stuffed, so probably had a creator code.
>
> I tried changing the suffix (extension) on some stacks.  For XMLtree
> and chatserver, the type changed.  For galactic quest, the type stayed
> the same.  (I put .rev back.)  I assume the system gets the type from
> the extension on the first two, but from a creator code for the last.
>
> I tried
> answer "huh?" with filter ".rev"
> and was not able to chose any stack.
>
> Dar Scott

that's an old "inconvenience" only for mac-users.

I solved this problem with a button in one of my home-made palettes,
which will try open ANY file.

Here's the script:

on mouseUp
   answer file "What stack should i try to open, honey?"
   if it is not empty then
     try
       toplevel it
       ### try and error ;-)
       catch errornum
       beep
       ## so i won't explode if it is not a stack, just beep :-D
     end try
   end if
end mouseUp

Works extremely well for me :-)