Japanese on Revolution

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Dec 7 13:50:01 EST 2001

Recently, rbarber66 at earthlink.net wrote:

> Is anyone using Japanese text in a Revolution application? I am aware of the
> limitations with 16bit fonts but perhaps there is someone using a workaround
> that may be suitable.

What workaround are you looking for?

If you're talking about *display* of fonts, REV should work just fine as
long as the appropriate fonts and support are available on the user's
system.  MacOS requires the Japanese language kit, while Windows needs
either system level support or a third party enhancement such as those
available from TwinBridge systems (http://www.twinbridge.com/).

I've built a MetaCard application that displays text in 5 languages, with
two of them being double byte Chinese.  The only limitation I found was that
text needs to be broken manually -- MC wraps lines based on spaces between
words.  Maybe MC/REV will come up with a fix to wrap by character at some
point.

Regards,

Scott

Scott Rossi                       Tactile Media - Multimedia & Design
Creative Director                 Email: scott at tactilemedia.com
                                  Web: http://www.tactilemedia.com