VR movies and arrow keys

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Sat Jun 21 09:26:00 EDT 2003

Hi Rodney,

> VR question number 1:
>
> When you've got a VR movie in a player it navigates if you press the
> arrow keys (ie rotates as you press or hold an arrow key down), but
> does not seem to receive an arrowkey message.  An arrowkey handler in
> the card script does not receive any events... Does anyone know what
> is going on here?

Sorry ,no idea.

Maybe another "feature" of QuickTime?

Did you try to put the arrowkey-handlers into the player-script?
Hmm, i did, don't work......

> VR question number 2:
> ... is there any way to detect drag movements in a zoomed VR? (I know
> about and am
> using drag, tilt and zoom, what I'm interested in is drag position in
> a zoomed VR)

Maybe the "pan" property could be useful to you?

I just did a test and put this into the players script, which worked
fine,
zoomed or not ;-)

on mousemove
   put the pan of player 1
end mousemove

Was working in realtime...

> VR question number 3:
> .... is there any way to paint an object over the top of a VR?
> I'd like to be able control and record movement of a "pointer" graphic
> -
> to enable specific features of a VR to be highlighted. One work around
> I've thought of is to take a snapshot of the VR frame, load it as a
> graphic
>  and hide the VR.  Movies always seem to appear in the top layer (this
> is hardly surprising).
> Just want to check if my understanding is correct.

I am afriad not. QT always wants to be on top... (Another QT feature ;-)

If you set the alwaysbuffer of a player to true, then you can put other
object above
that player, but the interactivity is gone...

> Is there any way to send a message from Metacard *to* a sprite track
> within a quicktime movie?
> (I'm aware of QTdebug, but that's going from the movie to MC)

Sorry, don't know, but would also like to hear a positive answer :-)

> R.
> --
> Rodney Tamblyn
> 44 Melville Street