Directory to URL?

Yennie at aol.com Yennie at aol.com
Fri Jun 20 14:30:00 EDT 2003

The best you can do is to try and grab the URL's directory by itself:

put url "http://www.myserver.com/test/" into fileList

The problem is that different web servers (or FTP servers) may return
different formats. Some web servers won't give a directory listing at all (or will
send back the contents of "index.html" or some other default page).

If you really need to get a list of the files reliably, I believe you would
need to send specific FTP commands to a FTP site. There is no reliable way over
HTTP unless you have control of the server side, AFAIK.

Perhaps there is something you can glean from the FTP libs?

HTH

> I've been trying the following without success:
>
>   set the directory to url "http://www.myserver.com/test/"
>   set the directory to url "ftp://ftp.myserver.com/test/"
>   set the directory to url "ftp://uname:pword@ftp.myserver.com/test/"
>
> Result = "Can't open directory."
>
> Am I missing the obvious?

Brian Yennie