Try, try again

Richard MacLemale rmaclema at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Jun 15 15:13:03 EDT 2003

List,
About every 6 months or so, I pose this question in hopes that someone has
run across and solved this problem.  The previous times I've asked it, no
one has responded.  I remain ever hopeful...

Situation:
You want to make a cool GUI for some UNIX commands using MetaCard for OS X.
It's easy using the shell command.

Example:
The tool Carbon Copy Cloner is the perfect example of what I'd like to be
able to do.  It was made in AppleScript Studio, and it is a GUI interface
for some UNIX commands.  It asks the user for the root password, and that
allows the program to execute commands as root.

Problem:
No one has been able to tell me how to do this in MetaCard and I can't
figure it out.  But no one has told me that it's impossible, either.  So I
remain hopeful.

Say a user logs into OS X as a regular user, not root.  And I want them to
be able to run a series of UNIX commands that will need to be run as root,
assuming they know the root password.  In the Terminal, there's sudo and su.
But neither work using the shell command.

Is there a way around this?  AppleScript Studio can apparently do it.  I'm
wondering how it could be accomplished in MetaCard.  Any help would, as
usual, be extremely appreciated.  :)

--
:)
Richard MacLemale