Players, playing data from RAM

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Thu Jun 12 15:18:00 EDT 2003

At 3:16 pm +0200 12/6/03, Scott Rossi wrote:

>>  Come on, Scott. Where are these questions leading? Do you know something? :)
>
>Probably into a brick wall.
>
>If you're not using QT, I can only guess that whatever player is being used
>may be taking time to decompress or otherwise decode the MP3 file.  I have
>no idea if this the case or not, just a guess.
>
>I was asking about QT because it *appears* that the MC guys have optimized
>QT support in the latest MC version, which minimizes the initialization
>problem that plagued previous versions of MC (no real data to back this up,
>just some subjective observations).

The decompression thing makes sense. But the odd thing here is that
two similarly specced machines show such a difference in the time to
do this. (It turns out there was no anti-virus software running on
the far-away machine.)

>Not sure if this will help but you might try using MP3s with low compression
>(as opposed to high) and see if larger filesizes make any difference in
>performance.  You might want to try using a "pictureless" video format
>(probably MPEG) as well, unless your client's MP3 request overrides this
>option as well.

I don't think I can lower the compression by much. Right now the
flles are half the size they were previously with compressed au.
Despite what I said before, the lower file size is important, and the
client actually expected the files to be much smaller than they are.
(He didn't realize the previous au files were compressed and I think
he was expecting the 90% reduction you typically get when ripping
audio CDs.)

I think I'm still hoping in vain for a way to avoid the filename thing.

Thanks for the ideas and help.

Cheers
Dave