php & wikis

David Bovill david at anon.nu
Sat Jun 7 09:42:15 EDT 2003

> The gist of what I was getting at, though, is that the
> reason why David might prefer blogs over wikis is that
> wikis lack the automation of blogs.

Nice sentence Alain :)

It's close but in fact I "like" wikis and "dislike" blogs. But I was pretty
sure that Blog's would work for people and that wiki's would not.

This again was based on my experience of creating large user authored
HyperCard based projects - they scale badly, producing lovely organic messes
of data which are hard to keep up to date with changes in technology.

This is a problem for the user, the potential author, and the editor - it is
also the source of a great strength.

Where I am going with the wiki/blogg thing is here is that blogs have the
advantage of the underlying RDBMS structure, while wiki's are better at
producing evolving structures. The marriage of chaos and structure tends to
produce funky evolving stuff.