php & wikis

Alain Farmer alain_farmer at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 6 20:15:00 EDT 2003

Hello Andu and y'all,

> Weblogs are not supposed to be edited in the way
> wikis are because... they are not wikis.

Good point, Andu.

The gist of what I was getting at, though, is that the
reason why David might prefer blogs over wikis is that
wikis lack the automation of blogs.

> I don't get it, you want to read the wiki in a
> browser but to edit it in a different application,
> why use wiki.

I am not sure what is so perplexing about this. I want
to browse the wiki, plus make some changes to it on
the fly, just like any other user. But, as an
administrator of the wiki, who maintains and improves
the orderliness of the wiki's content, I often need to
make many changes at once and, in these cases, the web
browser GUI of the wiki is NOT efficient. Changing the
footer, for example.

> The thing with the footer is just a matter of
> design, you can have the script insert a footer
> in all pages as they are served.

You can do this with a *wiki* ?  If so, then I have
chosen a bad example. Suppose someone referred to many
times in the wiki suddenly changes his e-mail address?
Or what if a contributor changes the domain-name of
his server and, consequently, would break the URLs of
their contributions (pan downloads). And so on.

> I'm not a friend of html but I recently
> discovered the potential of css...

The idea is great. The implementation sucks. Or, less
brutally, CSS has not been adopted integrally by any
of the current web browsers and, therefore, lacks
stability when deploying to many browsers on many
platforms.

> (kind of late, I know)...

I'll say. That ship passed eons ago.  ;-)

> and I do believe that good design
> can make a difference.

Who could argue with that!  :)

> Zope is great but it comes