Strange syntax in new widgets!?

Klaus major-k klaus at major-k.de
Tue May 21 11:27:09 EDT 2024

Hi Bob,

> Am 21.05.2024 um 17:09 schrieb Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com>:
>
> I find a lot of the widget properties less than useful. Try setting the widths of all the tabs of a segmented control to a specified width based upon the total width of the widget.

no, I won't! :-D

> Bob S
>
> On May 21, 2024, at 7:48 AM, Klaus major-k via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> Hi friends,
>
> this came up in the LC forum: How can I delete a line in a PolyGrid?
> "deleteline" or something did not work, so I searched the dictionary
> and found that one needs to set a PROPERTY to do so:
> put 2 into tLine
> set the pgDeleteRow of widget "PolyGrid" to tLine

and to make the confusion complete we need to:
put 2 into tLine
set the deleteItem of widget "PolyList" to tLine
for PolyLists.

> Very intuitive in my opinion. NOT!
> Am I the only one who find this rather ridiculous? 8-)
> Come on Livecode, you can do better!

It appears to me that the new widgets have been created by someone who has no
or very little knowledge of LC.

We have:
delete line 2 of fld 1
dispatch "DeleteLine" to group "DataGrid" with 2

So why not create a more or less similar syntax for new widgets, so we don't have
to use the dictionary for similar tasks. I don't get it...

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major