unsubscribing

Kevin Miller kevin at livecode.com
Mon Jul 29 18:39:32 EDT 2024

While I appreciate the feedback, we have spent millions of dollars in platform development and we are not going to sell the new platform with a business model that is not sustainable. That would not be in the interests of any of our customers, the community or the longevity of the platform as a whole. No amount of feedback from a small but vocal minority is going to change this situation. The majority of customers who have contacted us directly - and an order of magnitude more have done so than have posted publicly, including customers of all shapes and sizes, have been positive about the changes and willing to work with us. Our platform has been around in one form or another for an exceptionally long time. The industry is changing and we need to reinvent ourselves along with everyone else. We have done so in the past in different ways and with your support we can do so now. If you are one of those customers than I would like to thank you for your understanding, it is greatly appreciated.

If you are an existing LiveCode customer with an active license who has been adversely affected by the new licensing changes, then please contact support at livecode.com where we will be very happy to assist you. It is possible there may be additional options available for you that are not available here in this public forum.

Kind regards,

Kevin

PS. I'm not entirely sure I understand (yet) why this is such a deal breaker for you. At 200-300 euros a month adding a $150 (annual) seat is an additional 11.55 eur monthly cost. Nor is it clear you have applied the correct new licensing model for your situation. But anyway let's take this off list and we can go through it properly and see how we can help.

Kevin Miller ~ kevin at livecode.com ~ http://www.livecode.com/
LiveCode: Build Amazing Things

On 29/07/2024, 20:14, "use-livecode on behalf of Heriberto Torrado via use-livecode" <use-livecode-bounces at lists.runrev.com <mailto:use-livecode-bounces at lists.runrev.com> on behalf of use-livecode at lists.runrev.com <mailto:use-livecode at lists.runrev.com>> wrote:

Andre. As a dedicated Livecode user who has worked at Livecode and
authored several great books about it, you understand the software and
its community well. You must recognize that many of us are very
frustrated by the new seat subscription model. The impact of these
subscriptions is absolutely brutal for us.

Many of us are not full-time programmers; Livecode allows us to create
small apps without relying on them for our livelihood. How many people
here actually make a full living from developing apps with Livecode? For
many, Livecode is simply a tool to support our work and, at best,
provides a small financial boost.

In the 15 years I've used Livecode, I have earned exactly $4,500 from
small commercial desktop apps. The rest of the apps I created have never
been sold; I often gave them away to clients, colleagues, family, and
acquaintances.

No one at my workplace will pay for a Livecode license under the new
conditions. Even in my small IT company in Spain, which I manage
remotely, it will be impossible for me to provide my clients with the
small apps that I typically include in my services. We are talking about
micro-IT maintenance services that cost 200 to 300 Euros per month. How
can I justify charging them an additional $150 per seat?

With the new licensing model, typical users like me may disappear forever.

I understand why Douglas is so mad.

Best,
Hery

Best,