sideloading updates to mobile

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Feb 21 16:57:27 EST 2024

I've done this for several mobile apps. As long as the updates only reside
in the app's sandboxed container, even the App Store doesn't care.

Basically, I put a short text file on the server listing the update
version(s) of the file(s), one per line if they are all different.  Every
stack in the app suite has a custom property named cVersion. If necessary
you can also add the download URL to the same line. On launch, the app
downloads and parses the text to see if the server version is different
from the installed one. If so, it uses "put URL <serverPath> into URL <docs
path>" to download and save the the updates to the mobile documents folder,
overwriting the old ones.

It's pretty simple, if I understand what you need correctly. I also store
other info in the the text file occasionally, such as a text string
describing the updates so I can show an answer dialog if I want the user to
agree or decline the update (which will reappear on the next launch if they
decline.)

Sample text file is usually something like this:

   Stack 1 <tab> https://www.domain.com/updates/stack1.livecode
   Stack 2 <tab> https://www.domain.com/updates/stack2.livecode
   ..
   This update provides new functionality and bug fixes.

If you don't want to scan each stack for its cVersion, you can keep a text
file in the mobile documents folder that lists the current versions so you
can easily compare that to the one on the server. After updating the
stacks, update the stored text file as well.

If updates are mandatory, just skip the comparisons entirely and
force-download the updates. If only some of the stacks should be updated,
omit the ones that don't need to be updated from the server file.

Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw.com
On February 21, 2024 12:53:25 PM Mike Kerner via use-livecode