Live LiveCode Create demo

Kevin Miller kevin at livecode.com
Thu Aug 15 08:57:05 EDT 2024

Yes this is a great question, thanks for posting it.

We're looking to simplify the metaphors we use a little. The card/stack thing just doesn't seem to make as much sense as it did.

One of the main uses was to create a background group to have different records on each screen. That’s not really relevant in the new model where data is stored in the cloud data store and bound to objects.

Another major use was to place navigation controls on a screen and use a background group to do that. While in the current DP you do place those controls, we are working to create global navigation feature at project level which simply applies such a navigation bar without the need to drag them out onto each layout.

You then have "cards" as a concept meaning something entirely different in Material design, which is the design framework we've applied to Create.

All in all it just seems simpler to talk about a screen as a layout. Create multiple layouts and navigate between them. New users do appear to universally understand what a layout is (without the explanation that card/stack required).

All of that said, the underlying card/stack system is still there and a layout is really just a stack under the hood. So you can go on doing things the old way if you want to it will all work.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Kevin Miller ~ kevin at livecode.com ~ http://www.livecode.com/
LiveCode: Build Amazing Things

On 15/08/2024, 13:03, "use-livecode on behalf of Paul Dupuis via use-livecode" <use-livecode-bounces at lists.runrev.com <mailto:use-livecode-bounces at lists.runrev.com> on behalf of use-livecode at lists.runrev.com <mailto:use-livecode at lists.runrev.com>> wrote:

Just speaking for myself.

I use substacks for different windows (modal or nonmodal) in my
application. A substack rarely has more than one card, which has the
controls for that window laid out the way I want them. Also, substacks
can just be script libraries or other sorts of libraries (icons, images,
etc.)

So I already use substack as different layouts in native apps. If moving
to the web, they effectively become different "pages" (or screens or
layouts of controls)

I think I have 1 app where I still use multiple cards to store data, one
record per card. If I have a chance to redo this, the data will be
stored in a property or variable and the stack will have a single "card"
or layout where the current record of data is displayed as the user
navigates through it.

For the most part, I already think of a substack as synonymous with a
window/screen/page layout of controls for an app.