Android ANR (App not responding | Jacque was right :-)

Klaus major-k klaus at major-k.de
Fri Sep 15 03:52:45 EDT 2023

Hi all,

> Am 14.09.2023 um 20:03 schrieb J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com>:
>
> He's not crashing, it's a hang. I can't remember if logcat shows those.
> My guess is that it's a memory problem since he's running a very old version of Android with not much RAM,

it is a Galaxy Tab A (2016) with 2 GB RAM and 32 GB hd (or SSD?) running Android 8.1.
So the LC Android engine is a bit RAM "hungry"? Or are the new widgets like PolyGrid?

Strange, I have another LC app installed on my Samsung Galaxy J7 (2016) cell phone
with 2 GB of RAM and 16 GB HD which never ever crashed or hung in the last year?

> and restarting the app may force retained apps to release RAM. But a log can't hurt at any rate.
>
> Klaus, remove all unnecessary widgets from your home screen(s). Also go through all the apps in settings and disable or delete any you don't use. Android will not allow you to do that for required apps so if the buttons are enabled then it's safe. Most devices come with a lot of bloatware that runs in the background and uses memory. Widgets are especially bad at that.

I already disabled and deleted everything that could be disabled and deleted, since I
exclusivley (sic!) use the tablet to display sheet music. Therefore I really wonder
why this does not happen more often?

Will try to check the "logcat", when this will happen the next time.
Thanks for all hints so far.

> --
> Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw.com
> On September 14, 2023 12:21:15 PM Ralph DiMola via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
>> Get a logcat after a crash and see if Panos can glean anything useful from
>> it. It helped me once identifying and getting a crash fix implemented.

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major