Deployment: a plea/opportunity

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Oct 13 13:46:14 EDT 2023

We see it here in this list. We see it in the forums. We see it wherever
app deployment is discussed:

OS requirements for packaging/stapling/signing apps are onerous.

At the edge of, and sometimes exceeding, being prohibitively so.

There's no point in making a standalone if you can't ship it.

If pro devs with decades of experience struggle with this, newcomers
will run screaming.

SIMPLIFYING DEPLOYMENT IS THE NUMBER ONE PRIORITY.

Pardon the all-caps. I rarely use them. But this is important.

Simplifying deployment is more important than "AI".
Simplifying deployment is more important than "nocode".

It is the single biggest pain point.

And so it is the single biggest opportunity.

Fulfill the promise of "Everyone can code": focus on simplifying deployment.

Step 1: Acquire Matthias' great tool.

Step 2: Enhance it for current requirements across platforms.

Step 3: Look for every opportunity to further simplify the process, and
take it, at least one more simplification with each new build.

This is important. It really is.

--

And no, web export will not magically save things.  Even when that
becomes truly production-ready, it's only for web apps.  Not everything

There are a hundred ways to make web apps.

There are few ways to make cross-platform native apps.

And almost none that rival what LC can do on the desktop.

Play into strengths.  Make native deployment the best it can be.

When that's done, only then resume work on more peripheral features.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems