Subtitle and the future of the Player control

OLIVER GMAIL oliver.kalleinen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 16:15:19 EST 2023

Hi,

for a project I had to subtitle 63 hours of videos, I couldn't find any
subtitle software that was speedy enough to manage such a huge amount,
so I decided to make a custom subtitler for our specific needs and
workflow. It was fairly easy to build it with Livecode. You simply need
to regularily check the currentTime of your player object and compare it
to the timecode in your subtitlefile. You then show/hide the subtitle at
the right moment. As longs as there will be the currentTime property
available you can work easily with subititles in Livecode. There is one
major caveat though: It is not possible to show the subtitle on top of
the video, otherwise it will decrease the playback performance
massively. I had to place the subtitle outside of the player object,
than it worked. In the good old quick-times alwaysBuffer worked well, it
was easy to draw on top of a video without performance issues.

if you are in interested to hear more you can send me direct mail.

Best,

Oliver

--
Oliver Kochta-Kalleinen