decrypt error junk

Tom Glod tom at makeshyft.com
Wed Nov 1 22:06:58 EDT 2023

Hi Folks,

I'm having bizarre issues with livecode's decrypt command. strap in, its a
weird one.

I have found a "wrong decryption key" that does not return a bad decrypt
error, but returns garbage into "the result".
Every other wrong key correctly gives the usual error.
The right key works to decrypt.

But this one key gives a different result.

the length of the encryption/decryption key is always 64 characters
it is always alphanumeric, because its a hash derivative, no weird
characters, always the correct length.
and the salt is the same for every key i tried.

I can program around it, but its unsettling.
I will report it, but in the meantime has anyone ever come across this
garbage in "the result" as a result of an incorrect. decryption key?

the even more bizzare part is that my test password was "abc123" and the
key that does not work is "abc12"  ...although those become hash
derivatives that are 64 characters, so that has nothing to do with it.
its ...just...so weird.

I spend nearly all my working time in Livecode these days, so I will
find all the bugs.

Thanks,Tom