Modify timeout for shell function

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Wed Nov 1 11:16:29 EDT 2023

On 2023-11-01 11:20, Ben Rubinstein via use-livecode wrote:
> An install which runs daily and makes a number of calls using the shell
> function occasionally reports
> 	The process "..." exceeded the timeout of 10 seconds.
>
> I'm not sure where this timeout is defined; I'm not totally sure where
> this message is coming from (the shell? LiveCode? the process that was
> invoked through the shell command?).

Definitely not LiveCode - LiveCode runs the shell process until it ends
on all platforms its implemented on (I'll leave it for another day to
ponder whether there should be some sort of timeout to account for
rogue/hung processes!)

> Assuming for a moment that this isn't a timeout internal to the process
> that I happen to be invoking, is there a way in LiveCode, or in shell
> configuration, to modify this timeout?

Doing a quick google for variants of "The process ... exceeded the
timeout of 10 seconds" - then there are various results relating to
Laravel - which is a PHP framework. So are you shell'ing to PHP? If so
my guess is that whatever PHP script you are running is using
sub-processes too, and has a process timeout set to 10s.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Build Amazing Things