Code-Signing Frustration

Mark Smith marksmithhfx at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 12:21:58 EDT 2023

Hello William, I suppose by now you’ve figured out you don’t need to code sign with something like Matthias’s amazing code signing stack if you are just intending to test on your own device or a small group of devices. All you need is:  (1) a developer certificate, (2) a generic application identifier (I use com.marksmith.*) and a list of devices codes (UDID’s) that you want to test on. Bundle that into what I call a developer profile and when you use that to build and sign your app (all done in LC) your app can then be distributed immediately to any of the devices listed in your developer profile. I use Xcode to side-load apps onto my test devices but I also think you can just install them on an external device from the developer menu (specifying your device as the test target). I only use Matthias’s amazing app when I need to distribute through the App Store.

Mark